Monday, April 28, 2014

“Footsteps”

Habakkuk 3:17-19
1 Peter 2:21-25


            When I was in seminary and attending the chapel service, a choir from a local Bible college came to share their musical gift.  They were all 19 or 20, fresh-faced and clean-cut with matching blue blazers and saffron skirts.  They sang through smiles about their love for God and Jesus.  At the conclusion of the service they fanned out into the congregation to greet those who were there and witness to their faith.  It was kind of like a traveling altar call.

            Now remember, everyone in those pews was preparing to become a minister.  All day, every day, we studied the Bible and theology. Our goal was to one day stand in a pulpit and proclaim the gospel. So, when one of these 19-year-old fresh-faced and clean-cut kids came to our row and asked, “Are you a Christian”, a class-mate sitting closest to the aisle responded, “I try to be. I try to be!”

            Well, as soon as I heard him say that I thought to myself “uh-oh”. I knew what would come next because this was not the answer that 19-year-old fresh-faced clean-cut kid was looking for.  I knew the theological framework of his school would see salvation as either/or.  You are either saved or you’re not; you are either a Christian or you are not.  If you are just trying you are not there yet, so this 19-year-old fresh-faced clean-cut kid saw my class-mate as a hot prospect and proceeded to recite a carefully memorized gospel presentation that culminated with the question, “If you were to die today, do you know for sure that you would go to heaven?”

            So, do you?   Do you know for sure?  How do you know?   

That got me to thinking, “what do you have to say or believe or feel or do to really be a disciple of Jesus Christ?”  What is God looking for in us?  What does God expect to see?  How does God decide?  Is there a litmus test to determine if you are in or out and what might that be?  How would you really know for sure?

            In my seminary days I would have answered these questions up here – in my head.  I would have said this is determined by what you believe.  You can separate those who are Christians from those who are not by asking “What do you believe?” Doctrine describes faith and it begins with the verse in the Book of Acts that says, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved.”[1] 
           
            The very first faith statement was simple – Jesus is Lord – period, end-of-sentence. Everything that follows is an attempt to understand what that means, and some of those conclusions are non-negotiable, or at least we used to think so.  Christians, I thought, are people who believe and acknowledge certain truths about the nature of God and Jesus and salvation.  In the Presbyterian Church the sovereignty of God, the uniqueness of Jesus in salvation, the authority of scripture, God understood as Trinity- as three-in-one, the responsibility of stewardship and our call to mission are just a few of these bedrock principles. So faith in one sense is an expression of belief and agreement with certain theological statements.

            I began to wonder about those times when I saw in others and sometimes in myself behavior and actions that contradicted those beliefs.  For example, I would say with great confidence that I believed in God’s love for me and God’s call for me to love others, but then in my most honest moments recognize that my words and actions didn’t reflect my beliefs.  I did not act in ways that demonstrated a love for God and for others.  My walk did not match my talk, so I wondered, was my talk genuine?  Was my faith authentic?

Jesus once said, “No every one who says to me Lord, Lord shall enter the kingdom of heaven.”[2]  Saying something is so doesn’t necessarily make it so.  

            So, Christian faith must be more than just saying “I believe in this or I believe in that.”

            That’s when I moved the eighteen inches from the head to the heart.  Faith, I thought, must be something you feel in order to be real.  Paul hints at this in Romans when he wrote, “If you confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, then you will be saved.”[3]

            The problem with equating faith with feeling is that my feelings bounce all over the place and they are often influenced by events that have nothing to do with God.  Some days I just wake up on the wrong side of the bed.  Some days it’s just too cold and windy.  Some days someone says something to me that I find hurtful and so feel bad for the rest of the day.  Some days are just “one of those days”.  Does that mean some days I have faith and some days I don’t?

            When I look into the scriptures I find great men and women of God who at times did not feel all that great about God.  Jeremiah, who did more for God than I ever will, cried out in despair;

“O Lord, thou hast deceived me and I was deceived. I have become a laughingstock all the day.  Everyone mocks me.  Cursed be the day I was born.”[4]

Jeremiah felt bad about God and he thought it was God’s fault.  The reason he thought it was God’s fault is because he had been doing what God asked him to do, but all he seemed to get out of it was hardship and heartache.  Whenever he stood up in the market place to proclaim the word of God people responded with criticism and persecution. The fruit of his faithfulness was more bitter than sweet, more sacrifice than blessing.  With so much going wrong it was hard for him to feel right about God.

Yet, right after he dumped on God this litany of woe Jeremiah still found faith within and shouted, “Sing to the Lord, Praise the Lord.”[5]

So, faith must be something more than what you feel.  It must transcend the heartache and worry, anxiety and grief.

Next, I looked at my hands.  Maybe faith is measured by what you do with time and talent and treasure.  Talk is cheap.  Actions speak louder than words.  Jesus said as much in the twenty-fifth chapter of the gospel of Matthew.  In the parable of the Talents, the master said to those who used well what they were given, “Well done good and faithful servant, enter into the joy of your master.”[6]  Then he says to those who feed the hungry, who give water to those who thirst, who visit those who are sick, “as you have done it to the least of these you have done it unto me.”  Those who do right he said shall have eternal life and those who do not – shall not.[7]

So, faith, I thought, must be something more than believing, something more than feeling; it must be something you do.  But, what if you can’t do?  What if for reasons of age or health your abilities and resources are few?  What about those times when God may want you to stop what you are doing so that you may simply settle in his presence and pray.  Sometimes God says, “Be still.”[8]  Often the Bible says, “Stop! Wait upon the Lord.”  The most faithful response may be to do nothing at all.  Faith must be more than doing.

Finally I looked to my feet.  When Jesus said to Peter on the shore of the Galilean sea, “Follow me”; Peter had a decision to make.[9]  He could move his feet or keep them firmly planted in his boat. He could follow or not.  If he followed, everything would change.  If he would not, everything would stay the same. Following Jesus involves head, heart and hands. 

I think Peter always remembered that day he first met Jesus by the lake.  I believe he remembered every word, every moment, and every footstep of Jesus’ three-year journey to the cross.  That’s why he wrote:

“For to this you were called because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example that you should follow in his footsteps.”[10]

            So where do these footsteps lead?  Sometimes they lead us to the green pastures and still waters.  Sometimes they lead through the dark valleys.  Sometimes they lead us to a place of worship, and sometimes they lead us to a place for work. Sometimes they lead us to the quiet place and sometimes to the crowd.  Always they lead to the cross. 

            There are at least fifteen recorded occasions when Jesus goes to a quiet place to pray.  Following the footsteps of Jesus should lead us to that place as well.  So, the first indicator I use to measure my own walk with the Lord is prayer.  That is something you can measure.  You either pray or you don’t.

            I find my faith will become dry and brittle when not quenched with prayer.  As it is with physical thirst, spiritual thirst is only gradually realized.  It sneaks up on you when you are not paying attention.  You just drift away from the Lord without even knowing it.

            Probably my favorite pastime is hiking in the woods.  In my younger days I used to hike a great deal on the Appalachian Trail, which extends some 1800 miles from Maine to Georgia.  It is a well-known and well-mapped trail, but there are sections which are little more than a bare patch in the woods. On an idyllic day, when you are looking at the birds and blue skies, it is easy to wander off the path.  At first you don’t even notice it.  You took a wrong turn, but it is still beautiful, so you keep on walking.  Then you hit a stream that’s not supposed to be there or a mountain that is in the wrong place and then you know you’re lost because you had not been paying attention.

            Prayer is paying attention to the footsteps of Jesus.  Prayer is looking back to see where you have strayed from the footsteps. Prayer is looking forward to follow where the Lord leads.

            Following the footsteps of Jesus may lead us to the quiet place – sometimes it leads us to the crowd.

            If ever there was a person with places to go, things to do and people to see, it was Jesus. He understood a bustling, bursting calendar.  Time after time we see him surrounded by crowds, pushing, pulling, tugging and tearing for a piece of his time, a slice of his day, a word from his mouth. 

            Jesus was immersed in his world.  He was involved.  He cared and cared deeply for the needs of people, of all kinds of people.  If there was a need for food he fed them, if there was an illness, he healed, if someone was grieving, he comforted.

            Robert Shuller uses a slogan that describes this:  “Find a need and fill it, see a hurt and heal it, find a problem and fix it.”  And don’t worry about who gets the credit.

            Following the footsteps of Jesus leads to the marketplace and school yard, to the factory floor and the halls of Congress.  Following the footsteps of Jesus leads us to commitment to our community.

            Eventually the footsteps of Jesus will lead us to the cross and that’s usually where we pull up short.  Jesus said, “Whosever does not bear his own cross and come after me, cannot be my disciple.”[11]  Following the footsteps of Jesus will lead us to Gethsemane and that means we must face fear that paralyzes, temptation that taunts, or a decision we want to avoid at all costs.  Following the footsteps of Jesus sometimes requires sacrifice of personal desires for the needs of others.  Following the footsteps of Jesus is hard.

            That’s exactly when we need to lift our eyes to our final destination.  There’s a bit of prophecy in Habakkuk that carries this promise:

            Though the fig tree may not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines;
Though the labor of the olive may fail, and the field yield no food;
Though the flock may be cut from the fold, and there be no herd in the stalls-
Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation.
The Lord God is my strength; he will make my feet like deer’s feet,
He will make me walk on the high places.”[12]


That is exactly where the footsteps of Jesus lead – to the high places.  When we follow him we will find the best that is within ourselves.  When we follow we will find the best that God has for us.  So follow Jesus with your head and heart and hands.

Let us pray:

Lord, you have bid us come and follow.  Open our eyes to see where you would lead and our hearts to feel your love and our hands to serve and your call.  Help us to pick up our feet when we are tired, and hold us when we stumble and when we fall lift us up once more.  Amen.



[1] Acts 16:31
[2] Matthew 7:21
[3] Romans 10:9
[4] Jeremiah 20:7-8, 14
[5] Jeremiah 20:13
[6] Matthew 25:25:22
[7] Matthew 25:46
[8] Psalm 46:10
[9] Matthew 4:19
[10] 1 Peter 2:21
[11] Luke 14:27
[12] Habakkuk 3:16-19

No comments:

Post a Comment